To Village of Taos Ski Valley Citizens:
The 2019 Election Code changed the provisions for the Village of Taos Ski Valley Tax Increment Development District Board Member election, which will now be conducted on November 5, 2019. This election now falls under the NM Statute requirements of the Local Election Act.
The highlights follow:
- New board members shall be elected by qualified electors. Property ownership is no longer a basis to vote in a TIDD election of Board Members.
- To qualify as a candidate the person shall “physically reside within the boundaries of the district” as shown on the candidate’s voter registration, and the “candidate’s record of voter registration shows that the person is both a qualified elector of the state and was registered to vote in the area to be elected to represent on the date the proclamation calling a local election is filed in the office of the secretary of state.” This date is August 7, 2019. https://www.sos.state.nm.us/candidate-and-campaigns/how-to-become-a-candidate/2019-local-election-candidate-guide/#
- The District must opt in to the Local Election Act for an election which shall be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each odd numbered year. The Taos County Clerk will run the election, at no cost to the TIDD. The polling place will be the location within the Village’s precinct normally designated by Taos County for elections, which is the Inn at Taos Valley, at 1314A State Road 150, Taos Ski Valley, NM 87525. A voting tabulator machine will be used.
- August 7, 2019 Secretary of State’s office issues proclamation for local election
- August 27, 2019 9-5 Candidate Filing Day with the Taos County Clerk. “Must be in-person by the eligible candidate or by a person acting by virtue of written authorization.” The NM Secretary of State’s office has provided the forms on the Secretary of State’s web site: https://www.sos.state.nm.us/candidate-and-campaigns/how-to-become-a-candidate/2019-local-election-candidate-guide/#
- September 3, 2019 Write-in Candidate Filing Day
- October 8, 2019 Voter Registration Closes
- October 8, 2019 Absentee Voting Begins. Application for absentee ballot is made through the Taos County Clerk’s office.
- October 19, 2019 Early Voting Begins at the Taos County Clerk’s office
- November 2, 2019 Early Voting Ends
- November 5, 2019 Local Election Day
- January 1, 2020 Candidates take office
Questions should be directed to the Taos County Bureau of Elections at 575-737-6400.
Also, I am available for questions at 575-776-8220 extension 3.
Sincerely, Ann Marie Wooldridge
Village and TIDD Clerk