The Village of Taos Ski Valley Ordinance 2000-03 provides for the imposition and collection of a municipal license tax for the sale or dispensing of alcoholic beverages; and providing penalties for the violation of this ordinance.

For new liquor licenses: the applicant must contact the NM Regulation and Licensing Department (NM RLD) at:  After all applications have been processed by the NM RLD the Village will receive a letter and forms to hold a public hearing (within 45 days of receipt of the letter).  After the public hearing the Village will sign and return the forms to NM RLD.

For renewal of liquor licenses: Every year, by July 1, liquor licenses must be renewed.  The liquor license tax is $250.00.  A copy of the renewed State Liquor License is required when renewing the Village’s license tax.

 Picnic License info

Alcohol & Gaming: Overview

Alcohol and Gaming Division issues, transfers and revokes liquor licenses as specified in the Liquor Control Act. It administers the Alcohol Server Training Program, educating licensees and servers to prevent sales of alcoholic beverages to minors and intoxicated persons.  To find out the status of a pending application, please contact our office at (505) 476-4875.

The Division also issues Special Dispenser Permits, sometimes called “picnic licenses” for special events, and restaurant licenses, commonly known as “Beer and Wine Licenses.” The Division approves the issuance of new licenses and the sale and transfer of all existing liquor licenses both for change in ownership or location, and publishes a list of the most recent liquor license sales prices.

The Division takes seriously every complaint alleging potential violations of liquor laws and works closely with the Special Investigations Division of the Department of Public Safety in investigating and prosecuting such violations. It’s the primary responsibility of this Division to protect the health, safety and welfare of all New Mexicans and those visiting our State, while regulating sale, service and public consumption of alcohol.

Server permits are valid for 5 years.  To renew an alcohol server permit, a server will need to re-take an approved Alcohol Server Education class.  Please see the list of classes here .

All liquor licenses – with the exception of Non-resident and Common Carrier licenses – in New Mexico expire on June 30 of each year.  The Division mails out applications for renewal beginning in mid-February.  Applications are due according to the following schedule:

Dispenser and Retailer licenses on or before April 1st
Wholesaler, Manufacturers, Restaurant and Club licenses on or before May 1st
All other license types on or before June 1st


Licensees that are not in compliance with child support obligations, that have outstanding citations or who owe taxes or fees should contact our office.

This information can be found at the State of New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department website at