Village of Taos Ski Valley Fire Department & Village of Taos Ski Valley Council Declare Hazardous Fire Conditions and Impose Fire Restrictions
The Village of Taos Ski Valley has ordained that due to long term drought conditions and rapidly escalating fire danger within the Village of Taos Ski Valley, the following activities shall be prohibited or restricted within the boundaries of the Village of Taos Ski Valley, until rescinded.
Consistent with its authority to provide for the safety and to preserve the health and welfare of the residents of the Village of Taos Ski Valley, and pursuant to Village of Taos Ski Valley Ordinance No. 2004-02, sections 1-8, the following restrictions are being imposed effective immediately;
- HIKER PARKING IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- CHARCOAL AND WOOD BURNING GRILLS ARE PROHIBITED; Cooking devices, intended for outdoor use, fueled by charcoal or wood are prohibited.
- OPEN BURNING IS PROHIBITED; Agriculture burning; bonfires; burning of explosives and fireworks; campfires; ceremonial fires; controlled burning; outdoor cooking fires; outdoor heating fires; open burning; open flames; burning and/or storing slash or woodchip piles; and weed burning are prohibited.
- SMALL ENGINE EQUIPMENT IS PROHIBITED; Operating small internal or external combustion engines such as temporary generators, chainsaws, landscaping equipment or any tool which emits sparks are prohibited
- OUTDOOR WELDING AND CUTTING TORCHES ARE PROHIBITED; Welding or operating acetylene or other gas fueled torch is prohibited.
- SMOKING OUTDOORS IS PROHIBITED; Smoking is restricted to designated areas within structures which are exempt from the New Mexico No Smoking in Public Facilities Act, NMSA § 24-16-12 or inside personal vehicles equipped with ashtrays.
- FIREWORKS ARE PROHIBITED; The discharge of any type of fireworks or pyrotechnic devices is prohibited.
- BURN PERMITS; All previously issued burn permits are suspended. Holders of these permits will need to reapply for a new permit once these restrictions have been lifted.
- KACHINA VISTA PARK IS OPEN.
- CAMPING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY IS ALLOWED.
- PARKING IN THE MAIN PARKING LOT IS ALLOWED UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
- FIREPLACES AND WOODSTOVES; The use of indoor fireplaces and woodstoves are permitted, provided they are equipped with a metal spark arrestor screen.
- BARBEQUE GRILLS; Cooking devices that have an on/off switch intended for outdoor use, fueled by liquid propane gas, natural gas or liquid fuel are permitted provided that the user:
- Shall maintain a minimum clearance of 15’ of device and all combustible structures, fences and/or vegetation (No clearance is required at a single family dwelling.)
- Shall constantly be attended by a capable adult with a means of complete extinguishment
- Shall dispose of waste in non-combustible containers with lids tightly secured
- FIRE FOR COMMERCIAL COOKING; The use of fire that would otherwise be prohibited, may be allowed for commercial purposes by permit only. A commercial permit for this use may be obtained from the Taos Ski Valley Fire Department or the Village of Taos Ski Valley Office. A valid Village of Taos Ski Valley Business License is a prerequisite. A commercial permit does not relieve the permit holder from any civil or criminal liability associated with damage resulting from an escaped fire or from the recovery of the cost of controlling and escaped fire.
FIRE RESTRICTION EXEMPTION PERMIT;
- A Fire Restriction Exemption Permit may be obtained from the Taos Ski Valley Fire Department or the Village of Taos Ski Valley Office. Approval and signature must be obtained from the Taos Ski Valley Fire Chief or the Village of Taos Ski Valley Planning and Building Department. Permit holder must have a copy of approved and signed exemption permit at applied property.
- Pursuant to the Village of Taos Ski Valley Ordinance No.2004-02, section 7, the penalties for any violation of these restrictions shall be a fine of not more than $500 and/or imprisonment of not more than ninety (90) days.
Any federal, state or local member of an organized law enforcement, rescue or firefighting force in the performance of their official duty is exempted from this resolution.