Many home fires start in the kitchen. Make your kitchen safer:
- If you are cooking on top of the range, stay in the room.
- Unless you have a reliable automatic oven, don’t leave food cooking in the oven when no one is home.
- Keep kitchen towels (including paper towels) and potholders away from the stove. Loose clothing can catch fire. It’s safest to wear short or tight-fighting sleeves when cooking.
- If a pan catches fire, put your hand in a mitt and cover the pan with a lid or wet towel. Turn off the burner. Never throw water on a grease fire.
- If a fire starts in an oven or microwave, keep the door closed and turn off the oven. Unplug the microwave.
- If you can’t extinguish a kitchen fire immediately, call 911 and evacuate the house.